Microsoft announced the retirement of the Azure AD Connect Version 1.x. This means you must upgrade to Version 2.x by August 31, 2022.
If you're not sure which version you're currently on? Then this article is right for you.
In this article, I will guide you through four straightforward methods to identify your Azure AD Connect version. Staying up to date with the latest Azure AD Connect is crucial, as the Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) team frequently introduces new features and enhancements to the tool.
The release history of the Microsoft Entra Connect / Azure AD Connect can be found here: Microsoft Entra Connect: Release history | Microsoft Learn
Microsoft changed the name of Azure AD in summer 2023 to Entra ID and with that the Name of the "Azure AD Connect" to "Microsoft Entra Connect". But the version number are the same.
Table of Contents
- Get the Azure AD Connect / Microsoft Entra Connect Verion online
- Get Azure AD Connect / Microsoft Entra Connect Version locally on your Server
Get the Azure AD Connect / Microsoft Entra Connect Verion online
You can get the Version of your Microsoft Entra Connect online by following these steps:
- Open Entra
- Navigate to:
- Hybrid management / Microsoft Entra Connect
- Connect Sync
- Microsoft Entra Connect Health
- In the new window click on "Sync services", choose your domain and click on your server:
- Inside the server blade choose "Properties > Synchronisation".
And there it is, or current version:
Get Azure AD Connect / Microsoft Entra Connect Version locally on your Server
Locally on your server you have several options to get the current version of your
Get Microsoft Entra Connect Version with PowerShell ❤️
Of course, you can retrieve the version of your AAD Connect with PowerShell and it's only one line:
Get-Package -Name "Microsoft Azure AD Connect"Code language: PowerShell (powershell)
Get Microsoft Entra Connect Version in Apps & Features
Another easy way to get the current version of your AAD Connect is by locating it under "Programs and Features".
- Open the start menu on your Windows Server, and type Apps & features
- Locate Microsoft Azure AD Connect among the list of installed programs
- Check the version column to determine your Azure AD Connect version
Keeping your Microsoft Entra Connect / Azure AD Connect version up to date is essential to make the most of the Azure AD tool's features and enhancements. With these three methods at your disposal, you can easily identify your AAD Connect version, ensuring that your organization's directory synchronization and identity management remain in top form.
(There are other options as well, but I guess three are more than enough)